Fire alarm testing is on Friday afternoons and there is no need to evacuate unless the alarm sounds for longer than five minutes.
If the event of a real emergency, then please evacuate the building. The gathering point is on the promenade.
- Keep fire doors closed at all times in order to protect the escape route (no door wedges!)
- When using the kitchen, no deep fat frying and no unattended cooking on the hob
- No tampering with or covering fire detectors (this is a criminal offence)
- Use the fire blanket in the kitchen (without taking risks – if in doubt leave – always raise the alarm immediately and call 999)
- If you see signs of smoke call 999
- Safe use of electrical equipment (turn off when not in use – do not cover heat producing items such as laptops and chargers)
- No cooking in rooms
- No smoking in the building at all
- No use of candles
- Portable heaters (we recommend oil filled radiators – not fan heaters or convector heaters)
- Raising the alarm – please call 999 in the event of an emergency
- Fire evacuation procedure – when the fire alarm sounds please exit via the front door and congregate on the promenade opposite the building until you have been instructed its safe to enter.
- Fire drills will be completed once per semester, if you fail to evacuate there will be a re charge – all rooms will be checked.
- Fire testing – will be completed Friday afternoons – if the alarm doesn’t go off please treat this as a genuine evacuation.